Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First day of my Thanksgiving break

Hai~so this Thanksgiving break, I flew from LA to my aunt's house in San Jose to spend some time with my relatives. So this is an account of how my first legit Thanksgiving break went~enjoy.

Day 1 - Traveling

Because this was my first time getting to the airport by myself, I ran into a few troubles on my way.

There were a number of ways to get to the airport from campus, but I decided to take the convenient shuttle bus. I had no idea where the bus stop was, so I went down to the front desk of my dorm building to ask for directions. Props to the girl for actually drawing out the path to getting to the bus stop for me. Thank you~m(_ _)m. Thanks to you, I didn't get lost on the way.

This old man just randomly talked to me on the way though, asking me whether I was taking the shuttle bus to the airport (he probably assumed that from seeing me with a map and a suitcase). He kept saying I could either take this other bus that costs less but takes an hour to get to the airport, or the shuttle bus which costs more blahblah...I just wanted him to leave me alone tbh ahaha. 

So I managed to get to the bus stop safely, but I was already a little worn out because my backpack was heavy due to my laptop, and it was pretty hot. Thankfully, the bus came early and I could sit inside for a while before it took off.

When the bus actually got to the airport, I just randomly got off the first terminal, when the airline I had booked a ticket from was actually at the fourth terminal...Gah I had to walk for quite a while. When I finally got to the fourth terminal, I had to ask someone on how the self-check in thing works...lol omg I'm such a noob haha OTL

My aunt warned me that the security at LAX is apparently pretty tight, and yup it sure was - the security guards kept repeating in a serious tone to take out toiletries, laptop, and anything from our pockets. When I finally got through all that stuff, I was dying of lack of food in my stomach, so I bought a sandwich and a bottle of apple juice. I thought of going to the gate first and eat my sandwich there, but when I noticed that I had to take a shuttle bus to the gate, I decided to stay back and chill a bit more.

I had to wait about 2 hours for my flight because I came too early, and during the time I just sat in one of the seats at a random gate. I really wanted to sleep but I couldn't because I was afraid I would miss my flight (plus since I'm traveling alone, no one would be there to wake me up). When it was about time for my flight, I bought a tall sized iced coffee before taking the shuttle to the gate.

Do I look tired
Yes I do
I just sat at the gate, nibbling at my straw
And did some last minute tumblring before boarding the plane

During the flight, I napped like I hadn't had proper sleep for days (well it is kind of true...because the other day I only slept 3 hours), then I randomly woke up, and tried to nap again while listening to some good music.

Then I arrived at the San Jose Airport in less than an hour~and my uncle and my cousin spotted me at the baggage claim area.

When I got to my aunt's house, I received warm welcomes from my aunt and my two other cousins. After I put down my things, I went to the living room and just sat down on the couch with my cousins. I started chatting with one of them for a bit - I think I helped him get some nostalgia feels since the uni I'm attending right now is the one he graduated from ahha. Then we had our thanksgiving dinner~




I felt a little awkward there because I was the only non-immediate family member. While my cousins were chatting away and laughing, I kinda just smiled, stared at my food and ate it, and just stared at random places. Yeah I'm so awkward OTL 

After the dinner, I followed one of my cousins into her room and just chatted as we kind of did our own thing on our laptops. 

That was pretty much it for the first day of my Thanksgiving break~I'll talk about the rest of my break later in another post, since this post is already too long. Adios~

No comments:

Post a Comment