Friday, November 2, 2012

Griffith Observatory Field Trip

So this last weekend I joined a field trip hosted by the Astronomy club at my uni to Griffith Observatory ^___^ Here are some pics from the trip:

This is Griffith Observatory~

The view from the observatory o_o

There was a large pendulum at work once we entered the observatory
and I just randomly looked up at the ceiling from where the pendulum was hanging
and the ceiling was so pretty that I had to take a picture of it

A model of how stars go through the different stages of life (red giant, white dwarf, etc)
We also went to see one of the planetarium shows. It was my first time being at a planetarium, and damn the experience was rewarding. I think I liked the planetarium the best out of all the places in the observatory. 

The view from the observatory after we got out of the planetarium
It's amazing how you can see the entire city from up there

The moon


It's a bit hard to see in this pic
but on the left there's a small observatory where a huge telescope is kept in
I was hoping to see the moon or a planet, but because the moon is too bright when it's around its full moon phase, and none of the planets were up in the sky, they showed us a nebula. But the light from the nebula was too faint, so I couldn't really see it. But it was still awesome looking at something from space through a huge telescope. 


There were also smaller telescopes set up in front of the observatory. I managed to see Jupiter and four of its moons, and the Earth's moon. It was awesome seeing the moon in great detail, but it was slightly painful to look at it since it was pretty damn bright.

After that, we headed back to campus and I had a late dinner and then I passed out on my bed after I went on Tumblr and Facebook for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment